Job Title: Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor
Department / Location: Stevenage, with regular travel to nationwide sites
Reports to: Head of Human Resources
Main purpose job:
To develop the Group’s safety & environmental management system and associated policies and improvement plans in relation to health and safety and the environment; to co-ordinate health and safety initiatives across the Group and represent the Group’s interests with external bodies, such as industry partners, vendors & regulators.
- Develop coherent health, safety & environmental policy across the Group, and develop and maintain the Group’s over-arching Safety Management System in compliance with relevant legislation and recognised emerging functional best practice
- Develop, in consultation with the Group’s site management, pragmatic, realistic and challenging safety & environmental improvement plans based on risk assessment
- Support the Leadership Team in terms of providing professional advice and support on health, safety and environmental matters and ensuring that all the management population receive appropriate safety and environmental training relevant to their specific role requirement
- Monitor safety & environmental performance across the Group, taking or enabling action to be taken to address emerging issues and trends, and reporting to the Leadership Team on these issues on a monthly basis
- Demonstrate personal leadership to influence people at all levels across the business to make continuous improvement in safety & environmental management an important business priority
- Provide day to day support to people at every level across the Group’s operations, both personally and through local site safety ‘champions’
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with external bodies and partners, representing the Group’s interests and demonstrating the importance of safety management to external stakeholders
- Identify and share best practice across the Group’s sites, as well as from external sources within the sector in which the Group operates.
- Monitor and, where appropriate, intervene, to ensure that safety audit arrangements are place across the Group’s sites and ensure appropriate corrective action is implemented.
- Provide a quasi-independent accident/incident management process for serious events, leading investigations where appropriate
- Progressively implement the Group’s recently purchased risk management software and associated e-learning training modules
Level of experience:
Minimum of 2 years previous experience of implementing an effective health, safety management system. Minimum of IOSH Certificate in Health & Safety as well as (ideally) exposure to ISO 14001 accredited sites.
Minimum of NEBOSH National Certificate (or NVQ equivalent) essential. Ideally with Chartered Membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)